Tomatoes provide little energy. Two medium tomatoes have about 22 calories. 95% of its weight is water and almost 4% are carbohydrates. They are an important source of potassium and magnesium and they contain vitamins B1, B2, B5, vitamin C and carotenoids including lycopene (pigment that gives it its red coloration). The latter two substances are highly antioxidant.
Benefits of tomatoes on the body
- Because of its high content of vitamin C, tomatoes are good for preventing colds.
- Tomatoes are effective in the treatment of constipation accompanied by a diet rich in fiber.
- If you suffer from heartburn or have a sensitive stomach, the natural acidity of tomatoes could not be good for you and you should stay away from them.
Uses in home medicine
- Apply the pulp of a fresh tomato on the blemishes that appear on the skin. Tomatoes will help ripen pimples so they can be removed easier.
- Apply tomato on skin burns. It helps soothe the burning.
- Put a ripe tomato in hot water that has come to a boil and leave it for about 3 minutes. Remove the skin and mash it in a blender. Use this puree as a mask on your face. Tomato pulp is excellent for cleaning and softening the skin.
Table of nutrient composition
100 gr. Edible portion raw
|Vitamin C (mg)||24|